Discover the benefits of dental implants for missing teeth in Paxton, MA
If you are looking for dental implants near me, check out Paxton Dental Care. Located in Paxton, MA, our team offers implants for missing teeth. Dental restorations help strengthen and restore a smile marred by missing teeth giving you a beautiful, healthy smile.
Although maintaining the natural teeth is the goal, trauma, illness, and poor hygiene can lead to tooth loss. Losing a tooth disrupts the balance of your oral cavity. The teeth may shift, the bone may start to deteriorate, and your smile is affected.
Your teeth have crowns and roots. The crowns are visible and are necessary for eating and speaking. The roots sit below the gumline and stimulate the jawbone to keep it healthy and preserve the natural balance of the mouth. The roots provide support and stability for the crowns. Dental implants replace the actual roots, fulfill their functions, and keep the bone healthy. This creates a sturdy, stable replacement for missing teeth and completes your healthy smile.
An implant is a small cylinder made of biocompatible materials such as titanium or zirconia to ensure acceptance by the surrounding tissues. When topped with a dental restoration such as a crown or denture, the result mimics the natural tooth in appearance and function.
What to expect
From start to finish, the dental implant process can take a few months. A consultation and examination are needed first to determine the appropriate treatment to replace your missing teeth. Patients who are missing teeth yet still have a healthy jawbone are possible candidates for dental implants.
The dental implant procedure is performed in the office. The implant is inserted into the space from the missing tooth. After the site has had adequate time to heal, a connector called an abutment is attached so that a crown, bridge, or denture can be attached. The entire implant process from consultation through the placement of the crown or restoration may take four to nine months depending on the complexity of the patient’s case. The result is a natural looking and functioning tooth.
Advantages of dental implant procedures
Implants can help restore the function and aesthetic appeal of your smile. They provide several health and economic benefits including the following:
- Versatile – Implants can replace a single tooth or multiple teeth.
- Sturdy – Implants provide the patient with a sense of stability and security. Because the base is inserted into the bone, there is no feeling of movement. The implant feels like a natural tooth.
- Functional – The implant and crown restore a patient’s chewing surface so he or she can eat normally.
- Aesthetically appealing – The final product is aesthetically pleasing and appears natural.
- Cost-effective – Although more expensive upfront, dental implants are durable and long-lasting meaning fewer dental procedures are needed to maintain the health of the tooth.
- Healthy bone – Because an implant mimics a tooth root, it protects the bone structure that would otherwise deteriorate without a tooth.